Monday 8 January 2024

New directions for The Book

This is the first post of 2024. It has been too long since the previous one. The explanation for the long delay consists in part of various things that have absolutely nothing to do with the Furaha project, but some other things were relevant. Quite relevant, in fact.

I visited TetZooCon in the beginning of December. It was great fun as usual: have a look at Darren's report here. I went there in part to speak with publishers or other knowledgeable people who might tell me more about my chances were of getting a publisher interested. I was lucky enough to speak such people, including a publisher. The discussions were open, and everyone was friendly, but the message was that there was hardly any chance of getting the book published by a large publishing house. That was disappointing, mostly because I had felt that getting a publisher to commit would be a sign that the work was good enough for that. Then again, as someone explained to me, even if you do get a publisher to print the book things can still go wrong: for instance, if those responsible for distribution put in little effort, nothing much will happen.

What it all boiled down to was that I might as well go for self-publishing. As one person said after seeing my sample part of The Book, now that I have already done most of the work, I should consider doing the rest as well.

I ruminated on that for a while, and finally decided that this is probably the way to go. At present I am thinking of Amazon, having seen an example of their quite acceptable print quality. Another advantage is that Amazon is accessible to most of my audience.

There are disadvantages too: a professional publisher should be able to prevent me making basic mistakes in book design, writing style or any other aspect of publishing.Without one, I am free to make all those mistakes! A major hurdle may be advertising: I will need a way to tell the wider world, once the time is there, that The Book is out. But those should be surmountable obstacles.

At present I think that The Book can, in principle, be available one year from now. I plan to have it published as actual physical books, not as e-books. Among the things you may expect in the coming months is a much-needed update of the Furaha main site, as well as posts about reworking some paintings for The Book' publication.            

I'll be back...

 


 

10 comments:

Davide Gioia said...

Sorry about you not finding any publisher.
About the "virtual shelves": will it only be an ebook or there will also be a paperback version? I'd love to have a physical copy on my (real) shelves.

Sigmund Nastrazzurro said...

Davide: Sorry that I was not clear. The shelves may be virtual, but I definitely intend the book itself to be an object. In fact, I am not planning to do an e-book version at all (I think e-books work for prose, but not for picture books). I will change the text in the past to make that clear!

Davide Gioia said...

Thanks!

mordicai said...

You sound like you have an accurate view of the pros of a publisher versus self-publishing!

I would consider Kickstarter or some other "pre-order" type system, rather than pushing it out straight to Amazon, personally.

Your feelings about e-books aside, it might be worth having that version in your marketing repertoire, to send out to friendly folks.

But ah, now I am waxing nostalgic for my publishing days...

Sigmund Nastrazzurro said...

Mordicai: It is reassuring that some of my guesses / estimates of how publishing works seem to be correct. I can still use help and advice though! With Kickstarter I may get more control, but it seems that I would then have to take care of distribution myself. My experience with parcel delivery companies in the Netherlands is that a fairly large percentage of parcels end up at the wrong place. Too many, anyway.

Keenir: Thanks! As I said, I can use help! My email is Nastrazzurro AT gmail dot com

Keenir said...

sorry for the lull and silence - was having email trouble & tried to handle it, and am still tackling it...in the meanwhile, here is the reply from one of my friends:

"I used a place call Printlore
You need 500 books minimum
They work with vendors in China
For smaller orders I use Lulu press"

-Anthony C. Docimo

Sigmund Nastrazzurro said...

Anthony: no problem! The help is appreciated.

TwoCupsofSugar said...

How about print on demand service

Petr said...

Sad to hear about the publisher, but I agree with your take on digital picture books. I can't wait to hold your illustrations in my hands and look at them on paper. Fingers crossed for no more hurdles and roadblocks.

Sigmund Nastrazzurro said...

Magpie: If I choose Amazon, their service is in effect printing on demand.

Petr: I agree. I once bought a digital picture book, glanced trough it and that was it. In contrast, I repeatedly go back to 'real' books!