Friday 10 December 2010

Furaha on io9


A few days ago this blog was mentioned on io9, under the heading Mad Science. The article was entitled "An intensive, multi-year study of realistic alien life". There was a definite spike in the number of people who visited my sites afterwards. Welcome new readers!

I was a bit doubtful about the 'Mad Scientist' bit, but what can I say? There is some truth in it; after all, I have been known to work my way through texts on the optical limits of compound eyes, to see whether I could somehow get around the conventional thought that such eyes would have to have a diameter of one meter to obtain a resolution as good as the human one. Is that geeky? I now think that computer science might hold an answer, and if you want me to write a post on that subject, you know what you are...

All right, I admit it: such activities might conceivably be considered geeky by some. In fact, according to Annalee Newitz, who wrote the post in question, my blog is "a treasure trove of biogeekery". Now that is a word to remember. Annalee must be a related soul, as she wrote: "This kind of intense, charmingly maniacal worldbuilding warms the screaming void at the center of my nerdy heart." Well, Annalee, it's nice to be appreciated, and please come again if you need rewarming!

3 comments:

mordicai said...

That is how I got here!

Evan Black said...

Geekiness isn't necessarily a bad thing. Everyone is a "geek" about something, even if they prefer to call it something else: aficionado, connoiseur, entusiast, "sports fan..." :)

Sigmund Nastrazzurro said...

Welcome, Mordicai.

Evan: very true. When people seem unwilling to see beyond the SF environment and cannot see that my hobby combines science with programming, painting and writing, I usually pretend an equal unbelief in whatever they do for a hobby. An example might be: "Do you mean you REALLY do nothing else while you are xxxx?" (you can use the xxxx for whatever they do).